York County Juvenile Law Attorneys
Defending Children against Allegations of Juvenile Delinquency

When a person under the age of 18 is charged with a criminal offense, the procedure is very different than when the charges go through the adult criminal justice system. The juvenile justice system is focused on rehabilitation. The law recognizes that a young adult is a work in progress, and should not be held to the same standards as an adult.

If you or your family member is under 18 years of age and are charged with a criminal offense, contact the attorneys at Marshall & Smith, PC. You will find our attorneys are well versed in the procedures and options available with representing someone in the juvenile justice system.


Q:   My child, who is under 18 years old, was recently charged with a crime. What is going to happen now?

A:   Depending on the nature of of the charge, your child may be able to avoid a conviction and having a criminal record. Although the juvenile justice system is designed to rehabilitate, there are possible consequences that could impact your child for the rest of their life. Also, unlike adults, the juvenile may be able to have their record expunged with very little effort. Please contact our office so we can review the matter and discuss the options available to your child.


Q:   Is there any situation that my child could be charged as an adult even though he/she is under 18?

A:   If your child is charged with a homicide or other serious offenses, he or she may be charges as an adult. Also, there are some charges that can be filed directly to adult court if your child or others involved used a weapon and is the age of 15 and older. An attorney is needed that has the proper experience and knowledge of this process to help you and your family through this difficult time. Marshall & Smith, PC has been successful in having cases remanded back to juvenile court, where the potential punishments are not as severe. Please contact our office so we can review the matter and discuss the options available to your child.

Q:   My child has drug problems. Can the juvenile courts actually help them?

A:   The juvenile court's main focus is for treament, rehabilitation and supervision. Drugs, alcohol, or mental health issues are routinely addressed during the juvenile delinquency process if needed. If your child is in this situation call the Law Office of Marshall & Smith, PC for a consultation today.



To discuss your specific legal concern, please contact the Pennsylvania juvenile law attorneys at Marshall & Smith, PC.